The Wheathampstead Community Group (WCG) has been serving the village of Wheathampstead since 1966. WCG is a registered charity that aims to provide help and support to any resident of the village.
- We organise transport for people who cannot get to hospital, doctors appointments or collect prescriptions.
- We have a Thursday Club which provides companionship and support for residents who are aged over 60 and unable to access other activities without assistance, or need care from a carer or family member.
- We help people in financial difficulty where there is a specific need, e.g. grocery vouchers, necessary white goods, etc.
- We can provide practical help e.g. DIY or gardening for those unable to cope with it themselves
- We run a Companionship network for people who are lonely and want a regular visit or phone call from a friendly volunteer.
- We arrange lunch at The Bull for individuals over the age of 75 and living alone.
- We liaise with other voluntary and statutory agencies and lobby on specific issues affecting Wheathampstead residents.
- We are a visible presence within the Wheathampstead Parish and we are all volunteers.
- We fund specific projects, such as putting a defibrillator in the high-street for emergency use, funding some equipment for the new community Chapel Gym, and providing English language training for Ukrainian refugees being hosted in Wheathampstead.