The Wheathampstead Community Group (WCG) has been serving the village of Wheathampstead since 1966. WCG is a registered charity that aims to provide help and support to any resident of the village.
- We organise transport for people who cannot get to hospital, doctors appointments or collect prescriptions
- We provide an Internet Cafe at the The Library every Tuesday morning (currently suspended due to Covid-19)
- We help people in financial difficulty where there is a specific need, e.g. groceries vouchers, school uniform
- We can provide practical help e.g. DIY or gardening for those unable to cope with it themselves
- We run a Companionship network for people who are lonely and want a regular visit or phone call from a friendly volunteer
- We arrange lunch at The Bull for individuals over the age of 75 and living alone
- We liaise with other voluntary and statutory agencies and lobby on specific issues affecting Wheathampstead residents.
- We are a visible presence within the Wheathampstead Parish and we are all volunteers.
General Enquiries 07539 176481
Transport 07918 136870
Follow the Friendly Neighbour Code!
As the festive season draws near, we’re conscious of those who might be isolated for the first time this year, or more so than usual. We know that not everyone who needs help asks for it. If you’re aware of neighbours who might be lonely, you could consider our Friendly Neighbour Code:
- CHECK on them – phone or knock on their door
- put a Christmas CARD through their letterbox, with your phone number
- consider agreeing a way for them to SIGNAL they need help (e.g. put something in the window, or open curtains each day if they are OK)
- if restrictions change to allow it, you could VISIT them or invite them round – observing social distancing at all times
- REMIND them of the phone number to call to ask for help with befriending, shopping, transport for medical appointments or financial assistance, which is 07539 176481.