We would like to thank all those who helped with the WCG appeal for 2019, whether you volunteered or gave a donation. This a vital fundraiser for the Wheathampstead Community Group. It helps us to assist those people who have be referred to us via health visitors, children’s centres, CAB, Scout Leaders, GP’s and many different sources.
We are really pleased that we smashed all previous donations received and raised an amazing £11,219.06! This total includes over £2,074 in Gift Aid which makes a huge difference to the overall total.
- 36 Volunteers delivered to over 1,700 properties on 54 roads in Wheathampstead
- Our volunteers made, in total, around 5,000 calls to properties in delivering and collecting our appeal envelopes.
- Volunteers made on average around 140 calls each.
During 2018 – 2019 we had many different requests for help. Some of the ways we assisted the residents of Wheathampstead were:
- A request from a past client for food from the Food Bank and a repair to the family’s dishwasher. Food was delivered and the dishwasher mended by one of our wonderful volunteers.
- A request from the Lamerfields Children’s Centre for financial assistance to help a mother hire a machine to sand her living room and bedroom floors. The floorboards were stained with drips of paint and she had no carpets. This was approved and the mother worked hard sanding and varnishing the floorboards herself. This was a great achievement as she had been under a great deal of pressure lately and suffering from depression.
- A request from a housing association to help a mother, with a young son, to pay rent arrears. The mother had been very depressed and was struggling to cope. As a result her son had been temporary removed from the home as it was in a state of neglect. Since then, with assistance, the mother’s health has greatly improved, the son has returned home and the mother is now working hard. It was decided that we could help her pay off this debt – as a one off payment. Also a request was made to the Food Bank.
- A request from the Lamerfields Children’s Centre to help a mother with a young son whose husband, in his early 40s, had just died. The family had experienced great hardship as the father had been ill for a long time and spent much of this year in hospital. We were very pleased that we could help the family and give a good contribution towards funeral costs. The mother was also enquiring about bereavement counselling so it was suggested that she contact the St. Albans and District Bereavement Network.
- A request from one of our volunteers for help to install a new washing machine.One of our invaluable volunteers agreed to do this.
- A request from a past client whose central heating was not working. One of our handymen inspected the boiler but the problem was too complicated for him to repair. A central heating firm was contacted but as the repair was going to be very expensive the client decided to take out an insurance policy which included the cost of the repair to the boiler. We were able to help with this payment.
- We were contacted to see if we knew of anybody who needed a single bed and mattress. One of our clients was very interested in the mattress so she has contacted the lady.
- A request to help an older lady change two light bulbs and replace a tile on the porch. A volunteer was able to help with this.
- A request to visit a past client who was depressed. A visit was made.
- Ongoing support to clear surplus items from a client’s home and transport them to charity shops.
- And many, many more stories…
Without the generosity of the Wheathampstead community, the help that we could provide would be greatly reduced. So thank you!
If you have not yet donated or wish to donate regularly, you could do it online here.