We help the community within Wheathampstead Parish in many different ways.
Helping those in need
We have a very active Community Secretary who helps with a wide range of requests for support. We receive referrals from other charities, doctors, and health visitors who recognise vulnerable people in need.
We have been busy over the last year…
- providing 450 lifts to hospitals, surgeries and shops
- setting up 11 lonely residents with regular companions
- providing monthly lunches at The Bull for older residents who find it
hard to get out
- running a weekly internet cafe at the Community Library
- giving Tesco or Food Bank vouchers to those in need
- giving assistance to help hire tools for essential house
- helping cover rent arrears when residents unable to work
- helping with funeral costs and bereavement counselling
- helping towards cost of repair to items like boilers
- providing essential household equipment
- matching the offer of furniture to people who needed it
- helping buy personal medical equipment to help a child attend school
- helping with household repairs and gardening for elderly residents
- supporting clearing surplus items from a client’s home
- helping move furniture
- giving assistance when debts became too much to handle
- helping to pay rail fares to and from a London hospital
- giving vouchers for clothes and shoes for a large family
- supporting families in paying for school trips, swimming
lessons and scout camp
- And many, many more stories…
We know it can be hard to make ends meet. Like when the kids need new shoes again just as the monthly budget is spent. These are some of the ways we may be able to help:
• Contributing to school uniform
• Study books/equipment or travel
• Helping with food costs during school holidays
• Making up the shortfall for a school trip
• Purchasing essential personal or medical items
• Helping repair, borrow or replace household commodities
Any information you give us will be treated strictly in confidence –
even between members of the Community Group. We also ensure
confidentiality and will not share any information you give us with
any other organisation without your permission.
If you would like practical or financial support, whether it’s help with gardening or a contribution towards a school trip, call our Community Secretary for advice on 07539 176481.
Plant Sale at Village Day
Each year we run a plant sale at Village Day to help us raise vital fund for our charity.
WCG Lunch Club
Wheathampstead Community Group organise a monthly lunch at The Bull for a small number of senior citizens who live alone.
We have volunteer drivers who collect individuals from their homes and then take them home after the lunch. This lunch and the companionship is thoroughly enjoyed. Although the club isn’t running currently due to Covid-19 restrictions we hope it will be back soon
Carol Concert and Santa’s Sleigh
Each year we hold a fabulous carol concert at the Memorial Hall. It is a wonderful event and we are lucky enough to have the Abbey Gateway Orchestra. We also operate Santa’s Sleigh, visiting every street in the village in December. Follow our Santa Visits Wheathampstead Facebook page.